Some of the leading mobile carriers in the United States have shut down their 3G networks and completed their migration to 4G and 5G technologies. These network changes will deliver higher multi-Gbps peak data speeds, ultra-low latency, more reliability, massive network capacity as well as increased availability and agility, and also has the potential to deliver new roaming experiences and connect new industries. This change will impact everyone, from anywhere in the world, traveling to and roaming within the USA.
We know that our customers will have questions and concerns about these changes and Digicel is committed to keeping you informed so that you are able to manage the transition and have the smoothest possible roaming experience while visiting the USA.
- How do these changes affect me?
Customers roaming in the USA will experience reduced quality on voice calls and/or may not be able to make and receive voice calls while on the T-Mobile or AT&T network.
We continue to work closely with these roaming partners to improve your experience making and receiving voice calls while roaming in USA.
Customers with an LTE or 5G phone that supports VoLTE (Voice over LTE) will be able to place calls over the 4G LTE network (instead of 2G or 3G) and will enjoy the following benefits:
- Receive higher quality calls with clearer audio between compatible phones.
- Keep browsing, streaming and using apps at LTE speeds while on your call.
- Take advantage of better coverage and connectivity – faster call connections in more places as we enhance our LTE network.
- Enjoy seamless calling (no interruptions) when moving between our LTE network and Wi-Fi.
In order to reap the benefits of improving technology, we encourage customers to upgrade to an LTE or 5G phone that supports VoLTE.
- Can I roam on a network other than T-Mobile with my 3G device?
You will not be able to utilise 3G services while roaming in the United States on a 3G device, regardless of the US network you are roaming on. This is due to the closure of the 3G networks in the US. We are working daily with both these companies to resolve this issue as a matter of urgency.
In order to make and receive voice calls, you will need a VoLTE enabled mobile handset.
- Will my 3G phone still work?
Your 3G phone will continue to work on the Digicel network as normal.
While we engage US carriers on testing alternative solutions that will allow for improved voice roaming, we recommend our customers upgrade their phones to VoLTE enable devices.
- I have a 4G LTE or 5G phone; will I be able to access all roaming services?
Yes, however you MUST enable data roaming before you can roam. For voice services, we strongly recommend a VoLTE enabled handset to have the greatest chance of being able to use voice roaming services.
- How do I enable data roaming on my 4G LTE or 5G device?
Apple/iOS users: go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options and tap Data Roaming to enable.
Android users: tap Settings >> Network & Internet or Connections >> Mobile Network and tap Data Roaming to enable.
- How do I know if my device is 4G LTE or 5G compatible?
Apple/iOS users: go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options and tap Voice & Data. Here, you can switch your iPhone to 4G or 5G if your phone supports it.
Android users: tap Settings >> Network & Internet >> Mobile Network >> Preferred Network type. You should see all the Mobile Network technologies supported (2G, 3G, 4G and 5G).
- What will happen when I switch on my phone upon arrival in the USA?
Your device will automatically find our roaming partner’s signal so that your device connects automatically.
If this does not happen within a few minutes of switching on, you may need to do a manual network search.
Android: Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Disable “Select Automatically” > Select a Network > Check for connection and carrier name “T-Mobile”.
iPhone: Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection > Disable “Automatic” > Select a network > Check for connection and carrier name, “T-Mobile”.
*Steps may vary according to your device make and model.
- What steps can I take to stay connected when traveling to the US?
- Consider upgrading to a 4G/5G-compatible device that supports VoLTE.
- Select the best roaming package that suits your needs before you fly.